What is Logic Direct Monitoring?
Hardware – Software Requirements
- Element Series + Ensemble Thunderbolt with July 2017 software and firmware updates
- Requires Logic Pro 10.3.2 or greater
- Direct Monitoring feature enabled only with a single Apogee interface – Direct Monitoring is disabled when multiple Apogee interfaces are connected.
Setting up Logic Pro to use Direct Monitoring
- In Logic Pro > Preferences > Audio > General, check Software Monitoring.
- In the Logic Pro menu bar, choose Record > Auto Input Monitoring if the setting is unchecked.
- Configure Logic Pro for use with an Apogee Element Series or Ensemble Thunderbolt interface
- In Logic Pro, choose View > Show Mixer if Mixer isn’t displayed.
- In the Mixer pane, choose View > Channel Strip Components, then select Audio Device Control if it is unchecked.
- At the top of the Channel Strip, Audio Device and Monitoring controls should now be displayed.
Are Bus Sends active in Direct Monitoring Channel Strips?
Yes, Logic Pro Bus sends operate as expected when the Channel Strip is in Direct Monitoring mode, allowing the user to send the signal to a reverb or other effect. Note that the send is delayed in relation to the Direct Monitoring signal, but this delay is rather inconsequential in the context of a reverb send.
What about plugins?
Plugins appear active but aren’t processing the Direct signal. Plugins DO process the Bus sends (i.e. reverb sends). Also, when audio is played back from tracks through the Channel Strip, plugins process the playback signal.
Can I engage Direct Monitoring on Multiple Channel Strips and mix them to one stereo output?
Yes, it’s possible to engage Direct Monitoring on as many Channel Strips as there are hardware inputs. For example, an Element 46 has 4 analog and 8 optical inputs – thus, it’s possible to engage Direct Monitoring on up to 12 Channel Strips and mix them to one stereo output.
Can I create create Direct Monitoring mixes for multiple hardware outputs?
Yes, it’s possible to create up to 4 stereo mixes using Ensemble Thunderbolt and 3 stereo mixes using Element Series interfaces. Note that it isn’t currently possible to route a hardware input to two different mixes. Also note that it’s not possible to route a Direct Monitoring mix to Element Series optical outputs.
How does Direct Monitoring interact with Apogee Control low latency mixers
- Direct Monitoring mixers are in addition to Apogee Control mixers. Users may employ both if they so desire.
- Apogee Control low latency mixers. This means that, practically, users should employ one approach or the other.